Thursday, January 24, 2008

It's Been a While

...since I've posted. A month and a half, to be exact. It's been a busy stretch, both for me and for Russia. The holidays were here and I have been lucky enough to spend a month with those I love. Now, it's back to school and things are going well, like they say "Time flies when you're having fun." I can't believe that January has nearly come and gone.

As for Russia, well, as you probably know, we have an heir apparent. No surprises, although I was a little surprised that the decision became public as early as it did, months before the March election. It seems like they are aiming for a seamless official transfer of power, without much real change.

Any opposition candidates (Kasyonov, Kasparov, Zhyugonov, et.al.) are finding tough sledding in their attempts to get registered, run, and find air time for their campaigns. I fail to understand why the authorities feel the need to quash opposition when they would win even in a fair election.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hello. I happened upon your blog when I searched for lake baikal trail building. I am looking at volunteering there this summer and was wondering what was it like? I read your posts and you seemed to enjoy it but any helpful hints or pointers would be greatly appreciated. You can e-mail me at Aspence26@aol.com.