Sunday, September 25, 2011

Weekend Fare

As promised, a few pictures of food: this is the leek and potato soup I made with the aid of my trusty dutch oven. It is, in my opinion, the best ten pounds I could have put in my luggage. Or at the very least, the ten pounds that will help me eat better this year! There wasn't a whole lot to the recipe. Basically, just remember to wash the leeks thoroughly, sauté them along with your carrots and celery. I added a bit of garlic for fun. Then in go the potatoes and stock. Leave it at a slow simmer until the potatoes are soft, probably 30 min. or so. Finish it with a bit of cream, or not, as you so desire. Just that easy!














And what weekend would be complete without some time spent in a coffee shop? There are not many places in Moscow with chairs as comfortable or an atmosphere as good as Coffee Bean. I have time, so I will keep hunting them out.














3 comments:

drmastermind said...

Hey Aaron!

the Starbucks on Gasheka street is usually quiet most of the time, with mindly comfy chairs. it isn't far from your flat, you could easily walk there!

HoosierPrincess said...

I'd like to take partial credit for recommending that you take big bertha with you. :-)

Aaron said...

Hah, I'm sure you will. Although, in deference to Mom's 9 1/2 qt. monster, I think this is more likely to be "Little Bertha."