Sunday, April 01, 2012

Vladimir, Revisited

If you remember, or look back in the archive, I spent the year after finishing undergrad in the city of Vladimir, working as an English teacher. I've been back again a couple of times since then. This weekend, I went back for two days to visit old friends and see how the place has changed.

This one hasn't changed much in the last, oh, seven centuries, so there's not much to see here.
P.S. It's the Golden Gate, leftovers from the medieval city wall.

 Comfortingly, Cafe Pizza is still there. I didn't go in to try the pizza again, but in my memory it was pretty good.


 I posted about this memorial a few years back, but here it is again. It's to Prince Vladimir and the priest (I've forgotten his name) who came and baptized the region's residents. No word on how they felt about the whole idea.

That's the Assumption Cathedral in the backround.

 And, just in case you thought nothing had changed at all, a new arrival:


In all, it was a thoroughly enjoyable trip. I really enjoyed visiting with everyone at the American Home, where I was able to catch up with the Russian staff and to meet this year's addition of the team. I also got to go visit Nina Petrovna, who is doing quite well considering her more than eighty years. And finally, I cannot neglect to thank Larisa for being such a generous host. Thanks!

3 comments:

Penang Island said...

Hi Aaron,

Greetings from Malaysia .. yes, I have been reading your blog , I am not guilty , as I am going to ask huge favour from you ..

I will be visiting Moscow & St Petersburg in Sept / Oct 2012 .. I need some help ! Would you be able to extend the helping hand ..

Here is my personal email , fungfung.khaw@gmail.com .. Kindly email return .. will be waiting for your email ..

PS .. nothing huge , just need to know more abt the train transportation and some accommodations questions .. hope you well.

Thanks a bundle.

Khaw fung fung .

Kathleen said...

McDonald's in Vladimir???? My mind is blown! In my day there was so little to do that I saw Men in Black II in the theater THREE TIMES.

Aaron said...

Kathleen - I know, it's this week's sign of the apocalypse. Other than that, it's about like I remembered got to see my people - that was most important!

Also, did Facebook tell me correctly that you recently took a trip to Morocco?