Thursday, February 01, 2007

The Cherry Orchard

On Tuesday we bought tickets to go to the theater on Wednesday. Even thought it is right outside the window (I can see it now as I type) and I walk past it every day, I had not partaken in a trip to a performance yet. Sooo...Sara, Joanna, Sara's hostess and I bought tickets and went. Two of Molly's students had invited her to go, giving us the idea. In all there was a pretty strong contingent of AH teachers (all of us who didn't have conversation classes).

The performance was, you might guess from the title of this post, Chekhov's classic The Cherry Orchard. It's the story of a mother returning to her childhood home and finding that she and her brother cannot save the estate and its renowned cherry orchard from encroaching modernity, the rise of the middle class, and the fading of the old Russian gentry. It has its comedic and absurd moments. I really enjoyed it and found that for the most part, like most Chekhov, the language was not hard to follow. I hope we get to go back to the theater again soon.

No comments: