Sunday, May 18, 2008

Making Change, Part XXXXII

So, if you've read my blog before, you've probably heard me complain about making change: breaking a 1000 ruble note (about 40 bucks) is really hard and cashiers generally complain if you don't have correct change.

For that reason, today at the grocery store I thought I was doing well. My total was 158.45 and I handed over 1,000 rubles. As I started to and over the 8 rubles 50 kopecks, the cashier, in a very sharp tone typical for Russian cashiers, informs me that she's "not interested in the little stuff," and gives me all the coins and everything.

I understand nothing about this place. . .

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What?! She's *obviously* never met the ladies of Гроссмарт. I still haven't quite shaken the habit of digging for change in the States- scarred for life...