Wednesday, November 22, 2006

"Cultural Learnings..."

Today is a glorious day in the day of my teaching career: I am using Borat to teach English! Our current topic is cultural differences and talking about what is polite, acceptable, customary, etc. Clearly, Borat does things that are not acceptable. Plus, in on the deal, the next grammar point is real conditionals. An example of real conditionals:

James Broadwater: I’m running for United States Congress in District 2.
Borat: He is a strong man, he will crush his opponents, and he will be powerful like Stalin, and not tolerate
people who are bad.
James Broadwater: Well, actually I wouldn’t compare myself to Stalin, but...
Borat: Will you vote for my friend?
Woman: Well, I probably will but I don’t ever tell people who I’m going to vote for before I vote.
Borat: If you do not vote for him he will take power!
Woman: Well, depends on whether he gets enough votes or not.
Borat: If you vote for him, he will make sure that you and family have many good years. But if you do not vote for him, you will be sorry. I will not leave until you swear on the eyes of your child that you will vote for him.
Woman: See, we don’t do that. That’s not the way we do things in America.


This, along with the big pot of chili I fixed for everyone, totally made my day.
Happy Turkey Day to everyone! I'm going to miss my family, but we are making an AH dinner for ourselves and the Russians. It should be fun!

P.S. I have to give credit to Joanna for coming up with the original idea of using Borat to talk about what is "acceptable," "polite," etc. I got to give credit where credit is due.

1 comment:

Joanna said...

Yeah, great idea Aaron, I wonder who thought of it...