Sunday, November 19, 2006

Weekend Update

Yesterday was a lazy day, and it was everything I hoped it could be. In the morning we went to the banya, which is the Russian equivalent of a sauna (although I think the heat is drier.) After that we were all wiped out. It is very relaxing and tiring. We stopped and had shashlik (grilled meat), and then retired to drink tea and watch TV. I had to go to the American Home for a while to show the Saturday movie, Air Force One. I had forgotten how delightfully cheesy that movie is, i.e. "Get off my plane!" Then in the evening we tried out the other movie theater in town. It is called the Khudozhesvenny Theater, which means Art Theater. Unfortunately it doesn't live up to that English Translation. It still shows the same Russian films and dubbed American films that the other one does. The only real difference is it is about a third the price and the seats are less comfortable and too small for me. So, for Saturday night entertainment we shelled out 100 r. and saw Snakes on a Plane...in Russian. I am really disappointed that it was in Russian because I really feel that we missed the deeper meaning and character development that was expressed through such lines as, "Enough is enough! I have had it with these **** snakes on this **** plane!"
< /sarcasm>

Today I'm working a little, working on some grad school apps, and then we are going to a blues concert at 6:00. We'll see how it goes, but the tickets were like $5, so I think we'll get our money's worth.

1 comment:

Joanna said...

No, the sauna is usually dry, and the banya is usually steamy.