Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Miracles, Forrest Gump, and Idyllic Fall Days

So, I was watching Forrest Gump the other day with my AI class and we came to the part where he says: “Now, my Momma always told me that miracles happen every day. Some people don't think so, but they do.”

And you know what...he’s right. I have proof.

That's right, the greatest food in Russia; yogurt, with real fruit in it. And what did they name this tasty creation? Naturally, chudo (miracle).

On other fronts, things are going great. The weather has been beautiful and much warmer this week. You could not ask for a nicer fall day than today, plus the forcast is for more of the same. Maybe Nina Petrovna was right when she said that we would have a great fall.

Classes are going pretty well, but I am still struggling a bit with my "silent-as-death class." They are all between the ages of about 13-16 and, with the exception of two fairly precocious girls, none of them like to talk in class.

And lastly, on Saturday we are introducing the students to the joy of playing football. That's right, real-live "American football." This should be a treat!



Lastly, I have been spending some time researching graduate history programs on the internet, which is pretty frusterating in and of itself. Then I get this little piece of wisdom from Michael, a former teacher at the AH who is beginning grad school in history:

"Anyway, as for grad school application advice, beware! You are about to enter a quagmire of frustration and mind-numbing administrative
bullshit."
Yup...that about sums it up!

No comments: