Friday, September 01, 2006

Nizhni Novgorod and Other Things

Well, our last full week of prep is drawing to a close. By this time next week, things will be in full swing. I am really excited and a little nervous.

In other news, today, kind of on the spur of the moment, six of us (myself, Joanna, Eric, Sara, Nicole, and Molly) bought tickets to take the train to Nizhni Novgorod. Its about a three hour train ride. Its about as far from Vladimir as Moscow is, but in the opposite direction. Unlike some things in Russia, train tickets are cheap. We got first class tickets for the trip there that were about thirty rubles (a little more than a dollar) more than the second class and only cost us about eight bucks. We're leaving tomorrow morning and will be returning Sunday evening. Joanna's friend, Joanna, has graciously offered to let us sleep on her couch...and futon...and floor. Nizhni, known as Gorki after the Soviet writer and poet Maksim Gorki, is a sprawling industrial and historic trade city that sits at the confluence of the Oka and Volga Rivers. It is famous for its Kremlin and a couple of monastaries. It also has three McDonald's, which I have the sneaking suspicion that we will visit whether I like it or not...I guess I'll have to just buck up and like my McFlurry. I'm looking forward to the trip a bunch, as one of my goals was to see as much of Russia as possible. Hopefully I will have some fun stuff to tell about and a few pictures to post on Monday.

If your curiosity gets the best of you, here is a link to the Wikipedia page on the city:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nizhni_Novgorod.

3 comments:

Joanna said...

"returing"?
"we will visit weather I like it or not"?
You better brush up on your spelling before classes start...

Aaron said...

Thanks! I fixed that stuff...too lazy to proofread after Blogger deleted my first post. Now if I can just take you to class with me and make sure I use proper English.

annie said...

kak oka?